Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Echoes of my Grandma

Long back I lost my grandparents and there is nothing in this world that could replace that special bond. I have missed them for years but of late I feel can feel their presence around me. This is post is not about a mind, body and spirit connection, it is just that Smera sometimes reminds me of my grandmothers in her daily discourse.

Problem is that we both are currently at the receiving end of our very own Smera the granny. Our problem probably stems from the daily dose of lecture that she gets from me.  Whatever sermon she receives particularly from me has been coming back to us in some form of the other. The simple explanation to all this is the fact that she is only child at home. Her thought is process is more or less like ours I guess!

I am sure the grandparents in the heavens above might having a ball of a time seeing me getting tortured with the miniature sized dictator at home.



Just recently I was combing her and she was complaining about the knots in her hair to which I responded saying, “Don’t worry mamma is working on it!”. To this she adds, “you know there is something else you should be working on your yelling and shouting!” I was a little taken aback by her ability to blabber and just as I was going to scold her, the father walks and adds fuel to fire, “very well said angel, you got it spot on!”

What the very supportive father does not know is that the he will not be served dinner till he makes up for the not so necessary comment.

This was just a starter! She uses a variety of tools to achieve her objectives - threatening, sweet-talk, emotional blackmailing and if nothing works, the she resorts to crying and get her things done. She can negotiate just like a full-grown adult would. Every now and then when I scold her, I get chided for being rude!

If the above weren't enough, I've got more for you. But before that it’s important to mention that Smera is not a fan aerated drink as we don’t encourage it. Even we don’t drink, barring very rare occasions like pizza nights. Smera has been made to understand the bad aspects of drinking aerated drinks, as they are high on sugar and not good for health in the long run.

Getting back to the story, a few days back we were having a pizza party and of course along with the pizzas there were some aerated drink to go with. Little Smera sees her parents, uncle, aunt and her cousin sisters sipping on the drink. She gives us a big nasty look and says “You all are going to die!”.  For a moment I really felt like as my granny back from the heavens above to stop me from committing a heinous crime!

Right or wrong, she has an opinion, which in a way makes me a proud. She isn't afraid to stand up to what is right. One can occasionally hear her Smera in either mine or hubby’s defense, “Now that’s not nice of you!” or “I think you should be saying sorry now”. Sigh!

Times like these, I wonder if I should stop her to talk like an adult. But then I am left to wonder what’s wrong if she can systematically channelise her thoughts and create an opinion about different situations? Right or wrong is far away from the debate but at least she is not following the herd and has a mind of her own.


So with a little pinch of salt, I have decided to let her be for now and get entertained for the time being, until it starts bordering on getting-on-my-nerves mode.

18 comments:

  1. also, good to see you are in good health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anil for dropping by yes I am much better now .. have a great day !!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is exactly a scene from my household. I have been worrying sometimes too if it's ok to let my son speak his mind and thoughts. Restricting him will only result in subsiding him. But it's hard to teach them when and where to actually speak up and when not too. Like you I too have now retreated from shushing him and have let him speak up. Will wait to see which path this takes us...hoping for good.....Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Vidhya .. I want my child to able to say whatever she wants .. I guess in time they would know what's right and wrong .. Problem with stopping them right now is they might not speak when they are in absolute need of talking ...

      Delete
  3. Wow... certainly strongly opinionated, isn't she? :)
    As a kid, I was absolutely silent and never voiced my opinions... I personally feel she's doing the right thing. Her opinions are focused and logical for the most part, right? That intelligence is a major plus point..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Roshan a plus for her and negative me as I am cornered each time I am wrong .. :D

      Delete
  4. Yay! I think Smera's a smart little girl. Courtesy- her wonderful parents! :)
    She's got an opinion and it's great. Letting her be would be better than a dose of do's and don'ts.
    That's just gonna restrict her thought process. Till then, enjoy the angel's sweet charm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right ... so for now I am going to enjoying this entertainment ... and I am sure in time she would know what's right and what's wrong !!

      Delete
  5. True .. I think in time she would know herself what's right or wrong .. we did too right :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! The kids who can voice their opinion are much better any day. You must realize that you have given them a warm and secure environment at home, a fearless one. This is a very good thing and if you see it in perspective such children are obviously intelligent because they don't take things lying down plus with such weird things happening all around us you can be sure that they will not keep quiet and that is very important. You definitely are a great mom! Cheers to that. Let her be herself. Such kids are usually very sensitive. They will themselves come to you and ask if they think they have done something out of line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gitanjali for this lovely comment .. it makes me feel somewhere in this trial and error experiment of being a mother is going somewhere on the right track .. :D

      Delete
  7. I would be taken aback too. I find that my younger son also gives gyan like a sage. But I do pull him up if he is rude. Our kids are more vociferous because we give them the freedom. But they also have to learn the difference between being frank and blunt. It is a tough balance to ensure. I am sure as she grows older, she will learn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course even I don't encourage rude behaviour.. but it's not rudeness that worries me .. it's the maturity in her thought process that worries.. you can attribute it to her sense of observation .. :)

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed reading this blog, Sangeeta. I have witnesses similar incidents in my home. You daughter has clarity of thought and keen observation. Our kids are also teachers we learn so much from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely spot on Nupur .. I learn from her so much !!

      Delete
  9. They can be a bit spot on. If it stings... it has a hint of truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it has truth then it is right what they speak and they should encouraged for it not stopped .. Isn't it :D

      Delete
  10. LOL!! Well, she has a mind of her own, and I'm glad you encourage that in her!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...