Sunday, January 5, 2014

Where the mind is held without fear

2013 has been a yet another remarkable year for me. Personally it was a fabulous year and there is nothing that I could complain about. I set out this year to learn something new and I have to confess that I have not learnt anything that significant. Yes maybe a few small things here n there, but mostly about myself.

What I have come realise is that I need to get back to work and that will be the only resolution I take upon myself for the year 2014.

The year has been challenging for most of us as Indians. With the inflation sky-rocketing, corruption of all kinds setting new record-high levels and treating our fellow Indians less than equal. This has just pushed us generations back, more like the dark ages, when ignorance and lack of education prevailed.



Was life this complicated or unsafe, 20 years back when were growing up or was it we were unaware? I wish and dream of India and us as Indians setting new benchmarks in the world. Not going back to the dark ages. I stay away from the country and in a funny way I feel more Indian than ever before. 


I feel sad when a girl is brutally gang-raped, or when children go missing from their homes, good health-care is un-affordable and children falling sick after eating mid-day meals provided at schools. I want to see a society where we are not forced to live in fear.



I pray in 2014 more children go to school, people have mutual respect for everyone, let there be smiles on everyone’s face. If each one helps even if only one, even then we can achieve a lot. Let’s the cities, towns and villages be more safe for children. Compassion and empathy should pave for the change, that we are really hungry for now. 

I hate watching the news channel with depressing and heart-wrenching stories. If I want the best for my child when it comes education, health and food then why should it be any different for anyone else. The problem is more in our heads that makes us feel superior to others. If only we all practise gratitude that is the core of Indian culture, the country would be a much better place to live in.


Just last evening I was met a young boy at a coffee shop. He was thrilled to see the book I was reading “I am Malala”. He too comes from the same country as Malala and was glad to see the world can read everyday problems people are facing. He said, “Malala is just one of millions of girls who want to study” and that he wanted to go back home to teach kids in his village after he finishes his education.  At 17 he had a clear vision of what he wanted for his nation.



I think we too ask ourselves the same question what do we want and that I guess will answer most of our problems.


Let there peace, happiness, love and clarity in our hearts. For a better India and an even better world in 2014. 

Image courtesy: Amul.com, an utterly honest brand! 

9 comments:

  1. hopefully 2014 can be a year of change for india and its growth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true...lets hope and wish 2014 brings in lots of happiness, love and peace !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Veena, hope you too have a fabulous year :D

      Delete
  3. Happy new year, may you learn new things this year....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you too Shushant and I have every intention of learning something new this year too :D

      Delete
  4. Lovely post - great mix of creativity, thought and humility. Nice job done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Amul girl & have always been a fan of Amul's creative advertising. Lovely to find the year's round-up :)
    Best New Year wishes to you & your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Sangeetha..Very well written :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...